|The Indian Government provides several benefits to senior citizens through its schemes in various sectors of development. Apart from various tax benefits, travel and health care facilities provisioned for them, the Indian Government has given reasons for Senior Citizens to feel happy by providing them an identity card called the senior citizen ID Card. Even though this card plays an important role for all senior citizens, it plays a particularly crucial role in easing the burden of poor/underprivileged senior citizens. |
|Benefits available for the Senior Citizens under this senior citizen ID card: |
- Railway concession - 30% (60 Years)
- Maharashtra State Transport - 50% (65 Years)
- Air travel concession - 50% on only basic fare (65 Years)
- Some private hospitals give discount - 30% (60 Years)
- Govt. hospitals give treatment free of cost - (60 years)
- Banks give extra interest - ½ % (60 Years)
- High court will give priority hearing (65 Years)
- Maharashtra professional tax - 100% (65 years)
- M. T. N. L. - 25% discount on monthly rentals (65 years)
- Railways have separate queue for senior citizens
- Income tax relief
- Old age home- admission free or at nominal cost.
|Documents required for the senior citizen ID Card: |
- Proof of age- Birth certificate or school / college leaving certificate or election card or passport (not expired) or PAN Card or pension card. ANY ONE IS SUFFICIENT. If none available, obtain doctor’s certificate from ONLY Govt. Hospitals or Municipal Dispensary regarding age.
- Proof of name: The name you give on the form should be the same as indicated in the supporting document. If the name has changed, proof of Govt. Gazette publication should be submitted or marriage certificate produced.
- Proof of residence: In order of preference: ration card or valid passport or election card.
- Doctor’s certificate: required for: blood group, illness/diseases, medication in use, medication allergies. The certificate has to be on the doctor’s letter head with his / her signature, stamp & registration no., a practitioner of Indian medicine WITH register number can also certify.
- Photographs: 3 stamp size photos, stick 2 photos on white form and stick 1 photo on the pink form.
- Needy person has to pay only Rs.50/- (official government charge).